German Psychology student Alina Kurz was one of more than 200 students displaced after the fire at The Cube and has praised the support from the community.
Alina, comes from Konstanz, a town on the Swiss-German border, and is in the midst of a four-year degree in Psychology at the University of Konstanz. She arrived in the UK in September to begin her year-long exchange programme at the University.

Alina was at home in her third-floor apartment in the when the devastating fire broke out last month. She said: “I was watching a movie when I heard a lot of noise outside. When I went out I could already feel the heat from the flames on the floor above me and it wasn’t a big fire then. I banged on the doors of my flatmates, collected some stuff quickly and ran. I was very upset at first but then I spoke to my flat mate and she was really upset as her dad’s ashes were in her room. Helping her gave me a purpose. Everyone has been absolutely amazing; I haven’t been alone at all and I have been showered with donations at the University. It has been special and so sweet.”

Prof Jerome Carson, Professor of Psychology at the University of Bolton, said: “Alina is a great student and lovely person and it is amazing the care and support that so many people have shown her.”