Jenny McCarthy, summer graduate, textiles, University of Bolton

Jenny McCarthy with one of her designs, from her collection ‘Venenata’, which featured poisonous plants as its inspiration.

A graduate is already making her mark in the textile industry. Jenny McCarthy, aged 21, won the New Designers Prestigious Textiles Award Associate Prize; her ‘Copper Falls’ soft furnishing design won the sought-after title.

As part of winning, Jenny spent a week on work placement with award sponsor Prestigious Textiles, which provided a behind-the-scenes look into the textile industry.

Jenny, who graduated from the BA (Hons) Textile and Surface Design degree course in July, said: “It is amazing to have such recognition so soon after graduating. I loved being at the University of Bolton and really enjoyed the course. I would recommend it to anyone. It is an incredibly creative environment and its links with industry is what made it so attractive to me. The employability element is so important here. On this course, we were constantly shown the value of having work to present to industry.”

Donna Claypool, Programme Leader said she was thrilled by Jenny’s success, “it is a stupendous achievement and within such a short space of time. Jenny is a great example to all our students and that is why I asked her to come in and talk to them. I wanted our second-years to learn how to approach a design project and Jenny is the perfect person to do that. She worked incredibly hard and she deserves every success in the future.”

1 Comment

• Jenny

Well done. I don’t know what you aspirations you have for working in UK industry, but an introduction to Panaz could be organised if you are interested.

Dick Horrocks