The Bolton Award scheme is helping students prepare for the world of work. Offering career guidance, support to learn new skills and helping them secure a job.

Cara Bradbury and Kondal Reddy Kandadi

Cara Bradbury receives The Bolton Award from Kondal Reddy Kandadi, Pro Vice Chancellor (Academic) of the University of Bolton.

Participants must spend a minimum of 35 hours, including 15 hours’ worth of work experience or voluntary work. At the end of the programme, they take part in a mock job interview and are given feedback on their performance.

“It is massively important, as it gives invaluable careers guidance and support which we know boosts their employability.” – Emma Donohue, the Bolton Award’s Project Officer at the University of Bolton.

Third year student Cara Bradbury has secured an internship at The Poetry Business, a company in Sheffield, thanks to mentoring support via the Award.

Cara Bradbury and Bill Webster

Cara is presented with a ‘Special Recognition Award’ for her continued commitment to her extra-curricular involvement by Bill Webster, Assistant Vice Chancellor of the University of Bolton.

“I think I did around 100 hours in total and it took me about five months, but it all depends on how much spare time you have. There were workshops, guidance on how to prepare a CV, plus how to improve presentation skills and tips for performing well at interview. I completely redid my CV as a result of what I learned.” said Cara.

Cara completed her Award in 2016-17 and in the following year was presented with a ‘Special Recognition Award’ for her continued commitment to her extra-curricular involvement.

She said: “I would encourage everyone to do the Award, it is a good way to evaluate yourself and improve your chances of getting employment.”