A remarkable student at the University of Bolton is celebrating achieving his goal – a first-class degree in Creative Writing.

Aidan Matear, 22, has choreoathetoid cerebral palsy and his achievement is all the more impressive as he is confined to a wheelchair and has extremely limited movement in his upper limbs.

He also had to take a year out of his course as he underwent major surgery.

On Tuesday 17 July, Aidan went on stage at Bolton’s Albert Halls to collect his BA (Hons) Creative Writing degree.

He said:

“Going to university is the best thing I have ever done.”

Aidan, who lives in Bolton, uses advanced computer software that enables him to write just by scanning his eyes over the screen.

He has his own online blog – ‘An Aid For All’ – in which he writes about his experiences.

The former Turton School student, who is a passionate advocate of disability awareness, said:

“The course was challenging, exciting, hard work and extremely rewarding.

I learned how to create original work, presented to a professional standard and had opportunities to perform my work and get it published.”

Aidan also said that he had been supported by a team of “very enthusiastic and supportive staff”.

After graduation, Aidan wants to focus on continuing his creative writing and developing his advocacy work for people with disabilities.

He said:

“I am a passionate ambassador for disability awareness and hope to continue my work with a number of local organisations on disability awareness projects.

The university was very supportive and understanding when I had to take a year out for extensive surgery.

They made it easy for me to simply suspend study until I was well enough to return. I got a lot of support.”