Event: Brains Eden

Game jam / festival which takes places at the Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge over the course of 4 days. The event took place from the 13th – 16th July 2018.

Brains Eden is the UK’s largest international student game jam, now in its tenth year at Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, and is supported by some of the biggest games and technology companies in the world.

This year, 175 students (35 teams) came together from universities around the world (8 countries) to compete in a 48-hour game jam, and were required to create a game based on the theme ‘Unreliable’. Over the course of the 4-day event, students received feedback on their games from

industry professionals, and they also had the chance to attend multiple career clinics and industry talks.

More information on Brains Eden can be found here:  http://www.brainseden.net/

Students are able to experience first-hand what it’s like to professionally develop a game. They are required to adhere to strict deadlines, and react to industry feedback to help improve their end product. Brains Eden is an invaluable experience for those students who aspire to work in the games industry one day.

Brains Eden is sponsored by some of the biggest games and technology companies from around the world, such as Unity, PlayStation, Codemasters, Frontier, Sumo Digital, Jagex, ARM, and HyperX. This creates fantastic networking opportunities for all students involved in Brains Eden.

“We had an absolutely fantastic time, and the event changed my perspective and ideas on what I want to do and be within the industry. I feel that my skills and overall outlook have been improved significantly as a result. It’s been one of the highlights of my time at university so far.

Being given the chance to speak to, and network with a variety of industry professionals as well as other students helped me understand and clarify what 

I should be. Their experience and outlook in industry not only got me to figure out my next few steps, but gave me potential contacts as well. I feel a lot more prepared for what comes after university, more so than ever before.

Thanks so much, it was by far the best opportunity I’ve ever had.”

Michael Reeve, Games Design, Year 2

“Brains Eden 2018 was a brilliant opportunity to meet and compete against game jam teams from around the world. The whole experience was superbly organised and focused on meeting new people during the development process. The career clinics gave me the chance to chat to people from studios including Codemasters, Sumo Digital and Frontier Developments. I learned a lot from them while gaining crucial contacts for the future. I would definitely recommend this event to anyone who is serious about working in the games industry.”

Andy Wilson, 2nd year, Games Programming

“Brains Eden is a fantastic opportunity for aspiring game developers, and attending events such as these is something we feel is extremely beneficial for our students here at the University of Bolton. Students are not only able to get a taste for professional games development, but they are also given the opportunity to network and create life-long industry contacts, something which is extremely important in this industry.”

Jimmy Mullin, Games Design Lecturer, University of Bolton

Additional information:

Given the success of the event this year, we will be looking to send more students to Cambridge each year to attend the festival.