- It is anticipated that no individual award will normally be for more than £5k.
- Joint applications are welcome, but one individual must be identified as the administrative contact.
- There is in principle no upper limit on the number of applications an individual or group of individuals can make. However it is not anticipated that there will be more than two applications from any one individual.
- Applications involving more than one School are welcome, particularly where it can be demonstrated that the benefits are potentially more widely spread.
- Applications from, or including, researchers who are likely to be classified as Early Career Researchers (ECRs) are particularly welcome. In 2017 as part of our commitment to ECRs up to circa 20% will be effectively ring fenced – providing bids meet the quality threshold. We will define an ECR as any member of staff, including fractional staff who have: completed their PhD in the last three years; or, who has joined the university as a member of staff in the last three years; or, who otherwise can indicate why in the context of the norms of their discipline that they would be considered as an ECR. This working definition is intended to be as inclusive as possible.
- External co-researchers or partners can be part of the research team involved in the bid but the project must be led in every respect by an eligible proposer as specified above.
- Requests for funding to reduce teaching or other responsibilities are eligible, but any such reductions will only be supported where there is not already scope for research work in the proposer’s timetable in the context of the workload allocation model.
- The funds must be spent by 31 July 2019
- Please note that all awards are subject to Heads of School agreeing the arrangements with the successful applicant, and applicants are strongly recommended to discuss their application with their Head of School before submission. Any award will be subject to satisfactory arrangements being agreed with the Head of School in relation to the delivery and management of the project.
- In line with the University’s Research Strategy, only projects which are linked to a REF candidate area are fundable.
- Please email the completed form by 5pm on 16 October 2017 to *protected email* with the subject line: Jenkinson Submission – [Lead applicant’s family name]
Download a copy of the Jenkinson Awards 2018 Application Form from the Research & Graduate School website
This year’s Awards Evening will be held on 14 December 2017 from 6pm and will involve previous Jenkinson Award winners and will celebrate research success in 2016 and 2017.
Submit a story
Got a news story or an upcoming event you would like including in the weekly bulletin?
Log in with your university account to tell us more ...