Sean and JacquiFrom living on the streets to starting as a Foundation degree, student Sean Proudman is celebrating a bright new future, thanks to chance encounter with University of Bolton Psychology lecturer Jacqui Harrison.

Less than a year ago, Sean from Bolton met Jacqui outside the town’s train station where he was selling his art work to make a living.

This week he popped in to Jacqui’s office, to thank her with a card he created himself, featuring the Lancashire rose.

Said Jacqui: ‘When you become part of the Bolton university family everyone is there for you and they will move heaven and earth.

‘It’s just fantastic to see Sean here. Who could have imagined what just saying hello to someone would bring.’

Sean and jacqui cardSean’s road to student life began with a conversation and, looking at his work, Jacqui recognised Sean had creative talent.

‘I could also tell Sean was articulate and seemed very genuine. I asked my husband, Stuart, to meet Sean and after a long chat over breakfast, Stuart agreed we should help. He asked Sean what would help him more and Sean thought arts materials, which we were happy to buy. By an amazing coincidence, one of our students saw Sean’s artwork and got in touch with the Bolton News who featured his artwork.’

Jacqui and Stuart continued to see Sean and encourage his talent. Said Sean: ‘My friends say that since I started here on the course there has been a shift in my demeanour. They say it’s like I have come alive.’