Life lounge

New arrangements have been made to ensure that students have access to the right information and appropriate support when they visit the Life Lounge.  Debra and Kay (Student Liaison Officers) have introduced a new working pattern which ensures that they spend an equal proportion of their time helping students and we are moving towards a more proactive model of support:

  • There will be a mixture of appointments and drop-ins – these have been calculated using knowledge of typical student demand, particularly during the autumn semester.
  • Mondays & Tuesdays: 8 appointments available each day.  Wednesdays: drop-ins between 12-4pm.  Thursdays: to cover outstanding prep for peer mentoring and follow-up appointments, working with Marie Norman on LEAP Academic.  Fridays: one SLO to go to Queens, other SLO to remain at Deane, offering 4 appointments.
  • The Life Lounge will now operate a ‘Duty Adviser’ system – materials will be re-written in order to ensure students are aware that whoever is on reception is also the Duty Adviser who will triage queries.  There will be a pull-up banner in the Life Lounge to reflect this change.
  • We are working on the 80/20 principle – that 80% of student queries can be dealt with via the Duty Adviser system, with the remaining 20% being referred to Debra and Kay for 1 hour of 1:1 support.  It is the Duty Adviser who has the authority to refer to Debra & Kay, they will make this decision when deciding when to book appointments.  The Duty Advisers have all been trained to deal with student queries and have a great deal of expertise in a range of student services and support.  This system is operated by other HEIs in the UK and the evidence suggests it helps students to get the right support as quickly as possible without being directed to several places across campus.
  • Debra & Kay will now not be booking appointments directly – so that we can ensure each student gets the appropriate level of support they require in a timely manner, each student and staff member will be directed to the Duty Adviser in the first instance who can book appointments with Debra & Kay where necessary.
  • Where a student requires ongoing academic support with academic writing and numeracy, Debra & Kay will refer the student into the LEAP Academic courses and tutorials, personal tutors will be advised of this.
  • Please ensure that when referring students to the Life Lounge that you refer them to the Duty Adviser – rest assured they will still get the same level of support they require.
Dr Emily McIntosh
Associate Director- Student Life

Leave a Comment

 

 

 

 

 


Submit a story

Got a news story or an upcoming event you would like including in the weekly bulletin?
Log in with your university account to tell us more ...

Navigation