Danny TabernerCancer survivor and University of Bolton graduate Danny Taberner has paid tribute to lecturers and fellow students who supported him throughout his treatment for the disease.

Danny, age 22, from Leigh, successfully graduated this summer with a 2.1 in Civil Engineering and Governors’ Prize. He now has ambitions to study for his Masters and work in consultancy.

His studies began with the University in 2013. Said Danny: ‘I began cancer treatment April 2013 and had a retroperitoneal lymph node dissection in September 2013, followed by a sub-massive pulmonary embolism October 2013. This meant I started university six to seven weeks late.’

Eventually starting his studies in mid-October, Danny faced the challenge of managing his studies and his post operation treatment, which often left him exhausted.

‘All the lecturers were extremely supportive and gave me any help I needed. I was very lucky in the support I received,’ said Danny.

‘I missed about six or seven weeks at the start of the course and although lecturers advised me to begin in January, rather than September, I was determined to begin the course.

‘I had been sitting around, and the degree was something that I wanted to do for myself. I was willing to put the necessary work in to catch up.’

Danny’s academic progress constantly challenged by his cancer treatment. He had to battle with the effects of chemotherapy on his focus and strength.

‘The chemotherapy altered my concentration so I was given extra time and rest periods during exams.

‘I couldn’t carry equipment when we went out surveying but other students were more than happy to help and support me in my first year of the course.

Just three weeks before his 2014 summer exams, Danny was hit by the news he had a massive pulmonary embolism. Undeterred, he pushed on and passed the first year exams with no resits.

‘In my second and third year at Bolton, I was a lot better health wise,’ said Danny.

Danny’s resilience pushed him forward and he even found the reserves to help organise a cancer charity football match.

‘Wigan footballer Juan Carlos Garcia was diagnosed with leukemia in February 2015, so a couple of my friends and I got together to organise a charity game.

‘It was going a little pear-shaped in the beginning, but we worked together to get raffle prizes and raise awareness.

‘We had about 500 people attend the match and raised over £6,000 for Leukemia Care.’