Kera AllenUniversity of Bolton student Kera Allen is returning from New York with the Grand Prize in the Surtex International Design Competition.

Second-year Textile Surface Design student, Kera, had been chosen as one of four winners to showcase her work at the Surtex International Design Competition Award from 15-17 May.

Kera’s fellow finalists included a student from the prestigious Savannah College of Art and Design. The award includes prize money of $1,000 plus a letter of recommendation to prospective employers.

Now in its 30th year, Surtex is the global business-to-business marketplace for sourcing original art and design. Each year more than 5,000 buyers and manufacturers from around the world converge on New York to buy or license the newest designs and patterns from trend-setting artists.

Student design competition, designext, honours only exceptional surface design work by students. This year’s entrants were tasked with creating six original surface designs inspired by ‘Tribal in Art Deco’. These designs were applied to the surface of fashion wear by Kera and presented as a collection.

‘I’ve never designed for fashion before which is why I wanted to give it a try,’ said Kera, age 23 whose work can be seen below. ‘I began to research the theme in books and researched upcoming trends.

‘I thought of my fashionable friends and what they would wear. I had one particular friend and I imagined what she would wear on a night out or on a summer’s day and the colours she liked.’